We had our mid-year conference on Friday! Woohoo! We have now made it through 3 1/2 years of homeschooling. The first year, I was just “winging it.” As Grace likes to remind me…we did LOTS of worksheets and workbooks! I always start re-evaluating what we do around this time of year. I usually get frustrated with how things are going, but then I sit down and question things, and ponder things, and realize that I have been given quite the blessing!
As I waited for Grace to finish up practice for The Lion King, Jr, I introduced myself to a mom I had not met before. Our distance from school always comes up, and she said, “Wow! I will never complain about driving to school again! We live 12 minutes from the school and I complain! You are crazy for driving 1 hour and 15 minutes! Why would you do that?” I responded with several “whys.” There are so many. Here are a few (or many) that have come to mind:
- Classical Academy sets me up for success!
- I am provided with teachers who understand because they have home schooled their children.
- I have options, options, options! (curriculum, extra-curricular activities, classes…)
- There has never been a time that I have been told, “this is how we do it”, and I LOVE that! As a matter of fact, I am usually asked, “What were you thinking would be best?” or “Do you have any ideas for how you would like to change things?”
- The Classical Academy was born from “outside the box” thinkers!
- My children are making great friendships!
- Grace is in a musical theater production that rivals any Broadway Jr. production!
- The curriculum pushes me as a teacher, as well as pushes my children.
Classical Academy is not perfect, no school is, but it is just what WE need. I am so thankful that a friend told me to check it out! So, I like to see that we GET to drive to school! We GET to be a part of something really amazing! The drive is long, but so very worth it!